Specialty: Orthopedic Spine Surgery
Undergraduate Education: University of Miami
Graduate Education: University of Miami School of Medicine
Residency: Jackson Memorial Hospital, Orthopaedic Surgery
Fellowship: University of Miami School of Medicine, Spinal Cord Injury Medicine & William Beaumont Hospital, Spine Fellow
Board Certification(s): American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Years in Practice: 16
Hospital Affiliation(s): Troy Beaumont Hospital & Royal Oak Beaumont Hospital
Academic Appointments: Assistant Professor, Wayne State University School of Medicine
Award(s): Chief Orthopaedic Resident, Scoliosis Research SocietyRussell Hibbs Award, NCQA Back Pain Recognition Program Recognized Physician
- Steinlauf SD, Stricker SJ, Hulen CA. Juvenille Tillaux Fracture Simulating Syndesmosis Seaparation. Foot and Ankle International 19: 332-335, 1998.
- Hulen CA, Temple HT, Fox WP, Sama AA, Green BA, and Eismont FJ. Oncologic and Functional Outcome Following Sacrectomy for Sacral Chordoma. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006; 88:1532-1539.
- Hulen CA, Herkowitz HN. Congenital Spinal Stenosis: Review, Pitfalls, and Pearls of Management. Semin Spine Surg 2007; 19:177-186.
- Hulen CA. Non-operative Treatment of Low Back Pain. Semin Spine Surg 2008; 20:102-112.
- Hulen CA. A Review of the Significance, Indications, Techniques, and Outcomes of Revision Lumbar Laminectomy Surgery. Semin Spine Surg 2008; 20:270-276.
- Hulen CA, Crowder TC, Herkowitz H: Subaxial and Cervicothoracic Spine Fractures and Dislocations. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons website: Orthopaedic Knowledge Online 2010; 8(2)
- Hulen RB, Hulen CA, Clifford PD, Posada A. "Correlation of Magentic Resonance Imaging and Clinical Symptoms in Bilateral Acute-On-Chronic Lower Extremity Lateral Compartment Syndrome: A Case Report."
- Hulen CA. "The Development of an In Vitro Propagation System for Pentas lanceolata." Department of Biology, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, Research Director: Michael R. Evans, PhD. Awards: Third Place 45th International Science & Engineering Fair, 1994, NASA Award for Innovative Research, 1994.
- Hulen CA. Tjin-a-soi EW, Zvijac JE, Hechtman KS, Uribe JW. "Comparison of Mechanical Shaver versus Arthrocare Electrocautery Device in Arthroscopic Chondroplasty of Medial Femoral Condyle, Lateral Femoral Condyle, and Intracondylar Groove Defects." 1997-1999
- Hulen CA, Dietrich WD, Eismont FJ. "Neuroprotective Effects of Hypothermia in Traumatic Cervical Spinal Cord Injury." 2004-2009 at University of Miami, Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, Lois Pope Life Center.
- Hulen CA, Herkowitz HN, et al. "Multicenter Retrospective Analysis of Anterior and Posterior Surgical Treatment for Cervical Spondylotic Myelopathy." 2006-2007 at William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Michigan and other participating centers of spine surgery excellence.
- Hulen CA, Herkowitz HN, et al. "Retrospective and Prospective Study of Surgical Treatment for Degenerative Lumbar Scoliosis in the setting of Spinal Stenosis." 2006-2007 at William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Michigan and other participating centers of spine surgery excellence.
- Hulen CA, Baker KC, Truumees E, Herkowitz HN. "The Incidence of Fretting Damage on Ployaxial Pedicle Screws Used in Posterior Fixation of the Lumbar Spine." 2006-present at Harold W. Gehring, MD Center for Biomechanics and Implant Analysis, William Beaumont Hospital Research Institute, Royal Oak, Michigan and Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, Michigan.
Christopher A. Hulen, M.D.